The pursuit of holiness – right living – makes the follower of Jesus useful for His service, ready for every good work. In part 6 of Faithfulness in Hardship, Pastor Dan Cox reads from 2 Timothy 2:20-26.
The Visible Church and the Invisible Church
Some Context First…
An Approved Worker…
- separates from what is dishonorable (2:20-21a)
- will be made holy, useful to God, ready for every good work (2:21b)
- flees youthful passions (2:22a)
- pursues righteousness, faith, love and peace (2: 22b)
- avoids foolish controversies (2:23)
- must not be quarrelsome (2:24a)
- must be kind, able to teach and patient (2:24b)
- corrects opponents with gentleness (2:25-26)
Spiritually maturing persons…
- pursue holiness
- avoid foolish controversies
- gently correct opponents
Applying the Text
- Do you want to be an approved worker?
- Are you standing firm in right doctrine?
- Are you pursuing right living?