The new ways of Christ are superior to the old ways of religion. In part 6 of The King’s First Year of Earthly Ministry, Pastor Dan Cox reads from Matthew 9, Mark 2, and Luke 5.
Subscribe to new episodes:
Or search for Wonder Lake Bible Church in your favorite podcasts app.
Law and Grace
Context for Our Text
Understanding the Text
- An Unlikely Disciple
- More Unlikely Disciples
- The Complaint of the Self-Righteous
- The Rebuke of the Self-Righteous
- A Question about Fasting
- Fasting in the Proper Time
- Old and New
The Superiority of Christ and the New Covenant
The Law: Three Functions, Three Responses, Three Outcomes
Three Functions of the Law of God
- Reveals God’s Righteousness
- Reveals Man’s Unrighteousness
- Reveals Man’s Need for a Savior
Three Responses to the Law of God
- Legalism: External conformity devoid of mercy and grace
- License: Inward rebellion devoid of love
- Liberty: Inward and outward obedience motivated by gratitude and love for God
- Legalism leads to bondage to the Law.
- License leads to bondage to sin.
- Liberty leads to freedom, peace and joy in the Lord.
Applying the Text
- What’s your response to the Law of God?