The spirit of the age says marriage is a legal contract between two persons (currently) regardless of biological sex or gender identification, but the Spirit of God says marriage is a sacred covenant in which one biological man and one biological woman are joined together in complementary one flesh unity for the purpose of reflecting the nature and glory of God, satisfying human needs for companionship, partnership and sexual expression and creating the best environment in which to produce and raise children. In part 5 of Deciphering the Cultural Zeitgeist, Pastor Dan Cox reads from Ephesians 5:22-33.
Subscribe to new episodes:
Or search for Wonder Lake Bible Church in your favorite podcasts app.
Foundational Worldview… and Marriage
Some Context First…
Understanding the Text
- Mutual Submission and Wifely Submission (5:22-24)
- Mutual Love and Husbandly, Christlike Love (5:25-30)
- Marriage as Illustration of Christ and the Church (5:31-32)
- Love and Respect (5:33)
The Spirit of the Age Says Marriage…
- is a human institution
- is a legal contract
- is between two persons regardless of biological sex or gender identification
The Spirit of God Says Marriage…
- was created by God
- is a sacred covenant
- is between one biological man and one biological woman
- is a complementary one flesh unity
- reflects the nature and glory of God
- satisfies human needs for companionship, partnership and sexual expression
- creates the best environment in which to produce and raise children
The Church should be known more for what we are FOR than for what we are AGAINST.
Applying the Text
- What are you FOR?
- How can you best communicate that to the people in your world?