The spirit of the age says sex is a pleasurable pursuit that can be disconnected from marital commitment and can be experienced in whatever way one finds desirable within the bounds of consent, but the Spirit of God says sex is a pleasurable gift of God given to promote human connection and flourishing within the bounds of biblical marriage for the purpose of physical, emotional and spiritual intimacy and oneness and the propagation of the human race through procreation. In part 2 of Deciphering the Cultural Zeitgeist, Pastor Dan Cox reads from Genesis 1:26-28 and Genesis 2:18-25.
We are living in an age of intellectual, emotional, political and spiritual upheaval. The zeitgeist – the spirit of the age – speaks persistently to people both inside and outside of the church and influences their thinking, feelings, values and choices. Our age is characterized by a revolutionary fervor that seeks to overthrow traditional values and fundamental institutions and replace them with a progressive vision, elements of which can be characterized as utopian. These waves of rethinking can be seen in our culture’s attitudes and beliefs regarding such things as human sexuality, marriage, gender, economics and race. As followers of Jesus, we must seek to better understand these beliefs and then lovingly counter the modern, ever-shifting “truth” proclaimed by the spirit of the age with the ancient, unchanging Truth revealed by the Spirit of God.
Zeitgeist: Literally, “time ghost/ spirit”: the spirit of the time/ age
- It is the defining spirit or mood of a particular period of history as shown by the ideas and beliefs of the time.
The Zeitgeist and…
- Human Sexuality
- Gender Identity/Transgenderism
- Socialism/Marxism/Cultural Marxism
- Critical Race Theory/Intersectionality
Understand God’s design and intent for human sexuality, and then everything else falls into place for understanding why the Bible says what it does about sex outside of that design.
Some Context First…
- were created by God in the image and likeness of God
- were given dominion over the earth
- were created male and female
- were blessed by God
- were commanded to be fruitful and multiply
- were not made to flourish alone
- were created with interdependent, complementary correspondence
- become one flesh in biblical marriage
The Spirit of the Age Says Sex…
- is a pleasurable pursuit
- can be disconnected from marital commitment
- can be experienced in whatever way one finds desirable within the bounds of consent
The Spirit of God Says Sex…
- is a pleasurable gift of God
- promotes human connection and flourishing within the bounds of biblical marriage
- is intended to create physical, emotional and spiritual intimacy and oneness
- is the vehicle for the propagation of the human race through procreation
Applying the Text
- What are your core beliefs about human sexuality?
- Do your sexual attitudes and practices line up more with the zeitgeist or the Spirit of God?
- Repent of sexual attitudes and practices that dishonor the Creator and do not promote human flourishing
- Give thanks for the abundant mercy and grace of God