Self-control is God-empowered restraint over one’s emotions, words and actions that serves to develop one’s character. In part 8 of Soul Construction: The Fruit of the Spirit, Pastor Dan Cox reads from Galatians 5:23.
Subscribe to new episodes:
Or search for Wonder Lake Bible Church in your favorite podcasts app.
- The Goal
- The Means
- The Power
Some Context First…
The Fruit of the Spirit
What Does the Bible Teach About Self-Control?
- Lack of self-control is disastrous (Proverbs 25:28)
- God has given us a spirit of power, love and self-control (2 Timothy 1:6-7)
- Self-control is required of elders… and everyone else (1 Timothy 3:1-2; Titus 2:1-6)
- Self-control helps keep us from being ineffective and unfruitful (2 Peter 1:3-11)
- The reality of final judgment is motivation for self-control (1 Peter 4:7)
Applying the Text
- Renew your mind with God’s Word
- Keep in step with the Spirit
- Trust God for the better