Followers of Jesus are called to pursue love that arises out of a pure heart, a good conscience and a sincere faith. In part 1 of 1 Timothy & Titus: Godly Life and Leadership, Pastor Dan Cox reads from 1 Timothy 1:1-11.
Subscribe to new episodes:
Or search for Wonder Lake Bible Church in your favorite podcasts app.
True faith in Jesus Christ results in visible change in the lives of those who believe it. We all must guard against false teaching and embrace godly attitudes, speech and behavior. The books of 1 Timothy and Titus contain wise instruction from Paul, a mature spiritual leader, written to Timothy and Titus, younger leaders of God’s people. A spiritual leader has a special responsibility to uphold sound doctrine and model genuine, life-changing faith in Jesus Christ.
A Brief Introduction to 1 Timothy
Date: About AD 65
Paul wrote this letter to Timothy in order to encourage him to stand firm against false teaching and model godly Christian living, while advising him in how best to exercise spiritual leadership in the church.
Some Context First…
A growing follower of Jesus…
- learns from others and teaches others (1:1-2)
- stands firm against false teaching (1:3-4)
- embraces godly love (1:5)
- perseveres in right teaching and godly living (1:6-7)
- understands the right use of God’s law (1:8-11)
Applying the Text
- Are you a “Timothy”… a “Paul”?
- Are you standing firm in right doctrine?
- Are you pursuing godly love?