2 TIMOTHY: FAITHFULNESS IN HARDSHIP
The book of 2 Timothy contains “famous last words” of the Apostle Paul. Knowing that his death was near, Paul counseled his young son in the faith, Timothy, to remain faithful to Christ in the face of hardship. Through his teaching and example, Paul shows us a powerful picture of spiritual maturity and leadership. Like Paul, let us also endeavor to fight the good fight, finish the race and keep the faith as we eagerly anticipate Christ’s eternal reward.
A Brief Introduction to 2 Timothy
Date: About AD 67
Purpose: To encourage Timothy (and us) to continue in faithfulness to Christ in the face of hardship.
Some Context First…
Understanding the Text
- A Sincere Faith (1:1-5)
- A Spirit of Power, Love and Self-Control (1:6-7)
- Suffering for the Gospel (1:8-12)
Spiritually maturing persons…
- learn from those older and teach those younger
- are grateful to God
- maintain a clear conscience
- constantly remember others in prayer
- engage in vibrant relationships with others
- encourage others in their faith
- share their faith with others
- use their spiritual gifts to build up the kingdom
- depend on the Holy Spirit’s power and love
- are willing to suffer for the gospel
- humbly recognize all they have is because of God’s grace
- pursue holiness
- are obedient to God’s call
- are confident in final salvation and eternal reward
Applying the Text
- Are you struggling with fear?
- Do you need the Spirit’s power, love and self-control?