Those who believe in the name of the Son of God may know they have eternal life, know God answers their prayers, know they have victory over sin and Satan, know they belong to God and know that Jesus is the true God and eternal life. In part 14 of Walking In Light And Love, Pastor Dan Cox reads from 1 John 5:13-21.
Is it wrong to express certainty in matters of faith?
Some Context First…
That You May Know…
- You have eternal life (5:13)
The Birthmarks of a Believer
The Faith Test
What do you believe? Is your doctrine in line with the Word of God?
The Life Test
How do you live? Do you keep God’s commandments?
The Love Test
Do you love your brothers and sisters?
The Growth Test
Are you overcoming more and more as you walk with the Lord?
The Sin Test
Do you avoid sin, or do you continue sinning and consider it acceptable?
- God answers your prayers (5:14-17)
- You have victory over sin and Satan (5:18-19)
- You belong to God (5:20a)
- Jesus is the true God and eternal life (5:20b-21)
Applying the Text
- Do you have confidence in your salvation?
- Do you pray confidently for God’s will?
- Do you have confidence in your final victory?
- Do you know who grips you in the palm of His hand?
- Do you honor and serve Jesus above all else?