Subscribe to new episodes:
Or search for Wonder Lake Bible Church in your favorite podcasts app.
Some Context First…
Understanding the Text
Some will depart from the faith…
Some will depart from the faith…but you must train yourself for godliness.
1 Timothy 4:7 NASB
Discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness.
The spiritual disciplines are those practices found in Scripture that promote spiritual growth among believers in the gospel of Jesus Christ. They are habits of devotion, habits of experiential Christianity that have been practiced by God’s people since biblical times.
Spiritual disciplines are:
- both personal and interpersonal
- activities – things you do
- taught or modeled in the Bible
- sufficient for knowing and experiencing God and for growing in Christ-likeness
- derived from the gospel and take us deeper into the gospel
- means, not ends
Discipline 1: Bible Intake
Discipline 2: Prayer
Discipline 3: Worship
Applying the Text
- Does your Bible need to be dusted off?
- Are you speaking persistently with the Sovereign Lord of the universe who loves you more than you can imagine?
- Are you worshiping God in spirit and truth both publicly and privately?