Understanding the Text
- II. Dialogue (Job 3:1 – 42:6)
- “God destroys the sinner, but blesses the upright. Accept His correction that He might restore your blessing!”
- 2. Job’s first reply to Eliphaz (Job 6:1 – 7:21)
- “Some friend you are… you’re no help at all! I haven’t done anything wrong to deserve this!”
- “Lord, what have I done wrong? Why won’t you just leave me alone?”
- 3. Bildad’s first speech (Job 8:1-22)
- “God does not punish just men. If you will live with integrity before Him, He will restore your blessing!”
- 4. Job’s first reply to Bildad (Job 9:1 – 10:22)
- “I wish I could take God to court where an arbiter would make Him stop doing this to me… I hate my life! Lord, You know I’m not guilty, but no one can rescue Me from Your awesome power!”
- 5. Zophar’s first speech (Job 11:1-20)
- Be quiet, you babbling mocker! You deserve worse punishment than you’re getting. Repent and God will bless you again!
- 6. Job’s first reply to Zophar (Job 12:1 – 14:22)
- I understand what you’re saying- it is often true. But, that is not the case here. You are all worthless helpers! I wish God would speak- I am innocent!
Applying the Text
- Are you trusting God and seeking His wisdom in suffering?