Because God is holy and just, He judged our corruption. Because God is love, He promised to send a righteous Messiah Deliverer. In part 2 of Christmas: From Beginning to End, Pastor Dan Cox reads from Genesis 12:1-3.
The Problem: Total Depravity (Radical Corruption)… Death and Hell
The Promise: God will send a Messiah Deliverer in whom all the peoples of the earth will be blessed.
Messiah (Christ): “The Anointed One”
A Deliverer/Savior who rescues from imminent danger, oppression or destruction
Prophecies of Messiah
- Born of the Seed of Woman (Genesis 3:14-15, Galatians 4:4-5)
- Born of a Virgin and Called Immanuel (Isaiah 7:14, Matthew 1:18, 22-25)
- Born at Bethlehem (Micah 5:2, Matthew 2:1)
- Presented with Gifts (Psalm 72:10, Matthew 2:1-2, 11)
- Preceded by a Messenger (Isaiah 40:3, Matthew 3:1-3)
- A Ministry of Miracles (Isaiah 35:5-6, Matthew 9:35)
- A Teacher of Parables (Psalm 78:1-2, Matthew 13:34-35)
- He Would Enter Jerusalem on a Donkey (Zechariah 9:9, Luke 19:35-38)
- Betrayed for 30 Pieces of Silver (Zechariah 11:12-13, Matthew 26:14-15)
- Silent before His Accusers (Isaiah 53:7, Matthew 27:12-14)
- Wounded for Our Transgressions (Isaiah 53:5, Matthew 27:26)
- His Hands and Feet are Pierced (Psalm 22:16, Luke 23:33)
- His Forsaken Cry (Psalm 22:1, Matthew 27:45-46)
- His Side is Pierced (Zechariah 12:10, John 19:33-37)
- Buried in a Rich Man’s Tomb (Isaiah 53:9, Matthew 27:57-60)
- Resurrected from the Grave (Psalm 16:9-10, Matthew 28:5-7)
God’s Requirement: Faith
- A right relationship with Him by faith
- Godly living by faith
- Proclaim the good news of faith
Abraham: Walking by Faith
- He chose trust in the invisible God over visible circumstances
- Although he sometimes failed dramatically, he persevered in faith
Applying the Text
- Have you responded to God’s promise with faith in the Messiah?
- Are you persevering in faith?