The Book of the Kings teaches believers that our Sovereign Lord blesses obedience, punishes wickedness and honors character over achievement. In part 1 of 1 Kings: The Cost of Rejecting God, Pastor Dan Cox reads from 1 Kings 1 – 1 Kings 2.
Subscribe to new episodes:
Or search for Wonder Lake Bible Church in your favorite podcasts app.
The Book of the Kings
Background: Who? When? Where? Why?
The Book of the Kings: Major Themes
- The Sovereign Lord fulfills prophecy and directs events according to His purposes
- The Sovereign Lord blesses obedience
- The Sovereign Lord punished wickedness
- The Sovereign Lord honors character over achievement
Understanding the Text
- Adonijah attempts a hostile takeover of the throne (1 Kings 1:1-10)
- Nathan & Bathsheba speak with David (1 Kings 1:11-27)
- David declares Solomon king (1 Kings 1:28-40)
- Solomon spares the life of Adonijah (1 Kings 1:41-53)
- David’s charge to Solomon (1 Kings 2:1-9)
- David’s death (1 Kings 2:10-12)
- Solomon’s throne is firmly established (1 Kings 2:13-48)
Applying the Text
- Are you embracing… or rejecting… the rule of the Sovereign Lord?