Music Ministry is one of the most powerful and rewarding ministries in the church today. At WLBC, we believe God is looking for true worshipers (John 4:23) and is calling us to fulfill five specific purposes with our Music Ministry.
- To honor Him and bring glory to His name.
- To honor our leadership and serve with them in unity of purpose.
- To honor each other and create a unified group of mature believers who are skilled in worshiping the Lord.
- To serve our congregation and community by becoming reflections of God’s grace by truly worshiping, not performing.
- To create an environment that invites the work of the Holy Spirit to take place in people’s lives so they can celebrate, honor and experience God’s presence.
Being part of a worship music ministry is a privilege and a high calling. If you are interested in serving with us in this ministry, you will be asked to commit to the following guidelines.
- Calling/Leading Music ministry can be fun, but are you interested in merely performing for the fun of it or to help draw people into God’s presence during worship? We invite you to seek God first, and prayerfully consider this calling.
- Leadership/Support You will be expected to support the vision of the church and its leadership as they are God’s appointed leaders. Everyone involved in this ministry is a servant/leader and has a leadership role to play as they are in front of our congregation on a regular basis.
- Hebrews 13:7
- Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.
- Hebrews 13:17
- Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you.
- Attitude Of Service Our attitude should be to serve our church by worshiping from the heart and to avoid a “performance” mind set. To serve in such a way that people will be drawn into God’s presence not toward our gift or talent. You’ll be asked to serve with a spirit of humility and cooperation with one another while simultaneously striving for musical excellence.
- Proverbs 21:2
- People may think they are doing what is right, but the Lord examines the heart.
- Humility/Servant’s Heart We must recognize that our gifts were given to us to serve God. We must use those gifts to serve Him with a humble heart and to keep in check a spirit of selfish ambition or pride. There is no place for pride or a self-seeking spirit in worship. Worship is about God not us. To serve with humility means to always seek to bring glory to God not us. To serve cheerfully in whatever capacity you may be needed to honor God and meet the needs of the worship team and the Music Steering Committee. Helping one another to grow in our skills and abilities and serving always as unto the Lord.
- Psalm 115:1
- Not to us, o Lord, not to us but to Your name be the glory.
- Prayer Prayer is an extremely important part of rehearsals and performances. Though it may cut in to practice time, it is an invaluable tool for building closeness within our group and also ushers in God’s blessing on the ministry. Please take an active role in this part of the ministry.
- Practice/Rehearsals & Performances We honor God and each other when we work hard at our craft. In addition to practicing on your own, you will be expected to be on time and attend all rehearsals and performances. In Psalm 33:3, we are called to play skillfully for the Lord. If we don’t make the effort to practice, we are not likely to play skillfully let alone skillfully together. Rehearsals must be a priority. If they are not, it hurts not only the one missing but the entire team of people who have committed to being there.
- Basic requirements Unless exceptions are made at the discretion and approval of the Music Steering Committee, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must be willing to schedule an audition with the Music Steering Committee
- Have attended our Sunday worship services consistently for at least two months and continue to set an example by attending regularly.
Please carefully consider each of these points as you prayerfully seek God’s guidance for your involvement in this very rewarding ministry.
I, ______________________________, have read, understand and hereby commit to abiding by the guidelines for the music ministry of Wonder Lake Bible Church. I promise to serve as unto the Lord and promise to do my best to honor these guidelines for the good of the church, our leaders, this ministry and my fellow team members.
Effective June 1, 2008. Revised July 25, 2011.